K.C. and Michelle Woolf

Family blog

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Book Review - The Four Agreements - A Toltec Wisdom Book

I read The Four Agreements, by Don Miguel Ruiz, with a bad attitude because of the way it was given to me. About 3 years ago I went to a physician's retreat held by the company I work for. There had been quite a bit of turn over in the physician's division at the time - doctors just up and quitting. The head of the physician's division had a psychiatrist, who was also trained in Native American shamanism, come and speak to us. So, instead of addressing legitimate concerns - pay cuts and increased administrative interference in our practices, they hired a medicine man to teach us how to meditate and gave us a self help book of "Toltec Wisdom", hoping this would keep us all happy at work. I had read small bits of the book over the last few years. I finally finished it because I ran out of things to read on the toilet. The actual "Four Agreements", 1. Be Impeccable With Your Word 2. Don't Take Anything Personally 3. Don't Make Assumptions 4. Always Do Your Best, are all actually good ideas. But the whole time I read this book I was thinking to myself, "I should write a self help book my self and call it, 'Don't Piss Me Off!'" Everyone should read it. (It will probably help me more than it will you. I also admit that I probably missed the entire point of "The Four Agreements".)

No comments: