K.C. and Michelle Woolf

Family blog

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Book Review: Abraham in Egypt - Hugh Nibley

In Abraham in Egypt Hugh Nibley takes on the critics of the Book of Abraham, most of whom attack Joseph Smith's methodology and the lack of correlation between Joseph Smith Scrolls and what is recorded in the Pearl of Great Price, instead of closely examining the Book of Abraham itself. My favorite part of this book were the striking parallels between the Book of Abraham and apocryphal Abraham literature, to which Joseph Smith would never have had access. As with most of Hugh Nibley's works, most of the Egyptology and comparative mythology goes right over my head; but what was able to penetrate my skull was fascinating.

Just one more book before I reach the 300 milestone - still a long way from my 1000 books before I'm 50 goal.

No comments: